South Branch Potomac River
The South Branch Potomac River has its headwaters in
northwestern Highland County, Virginia near Hightown along the eastern
edge of the Allegheny Front. The mouth of the South Branch lies east of
Green Spring in Hampshire County, West Virginia where it meets the North
Branch Potomac River to form the Potomac.
What do you know about the South Branch Potomac River? Explore the
Quick US Geography Rivers and Streams Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
Early pioneer sources claim that the indigenous Native Americans of the
region referred to the South Branch Potomac River as the Wappatomaka.
Places settled in the South Branch valley bearing variants of "Wappatomaka"
include Wappacoma plantation built in 1773 and the unincorporated hamlet
of Wappocomo (sometimes spelled Wapocomo) at Hanging Rocks, both north
of Romney on West Virginia Route 28.
2. The exact location of the South Branch's source is northwest of
Hightown along Parkersburg Pike (U.S. Route 250) on the eastern side of
Lantz Mountain (3,934 feet) in Highland County. What state is it in?
- West Virginia
3. From Hightown, the South Branch is a small meandering stream that
flows northeast along the road through the communities of New Hampden
and Crab Bottom. What is the name of the road?
- Crab Bottom Road
- New Hampden Road
- Hightown Road
4. What Potomac River branch forms just north of the Virginia/West
Virginia border in Pendleton County at the confluence of the Laurel Fork
and Straight Fork along Big Mountain (3,881 feet)?
- North Fork South Branch Potomac River
- South Fork South Branch Potomac River
- West Fork South Branch Potomac River
5. The South Fork South Branch Potomac River forms just north of U.S.
Route 250 in Highland County, Virginia near Head Waters and flows 55
miles north-northeastward to the South Branch Potomac River at
Moorefield in Hardy County, West Virginia. From 1896 to 1929, what was
the name of the river?
- Highland River
- Moorefield River
- Hardy River
6. Where does Big Run flow into the South Branch Potomac River?
7. Buffalo Creek flows beneath West Virginia Route 28 and the South
Branch Valley Railroad at before emptying into the South Branch Potomac
River. What is the community?
8. Lunice Creek empties into the South Branch at Petersburg.
9. Mill Creek flows into the South Branch west of Romney Bridge near
Vanderlip along the Northwestern Turnpike. What is the route?
- U.S. Route 50
- U.S. Route 150
- U.S. Route 250
10. What stream flows seven miles from its source into the South
Branch south of Romney near Hampshire Park on South Branch River Road
(West Virginia Secondary Route 8).
- Mill Run
- Mikes Run
- Robs Run