The Allegheny River is a principal
tributary of the Ohio River; it is located in the Eastern United States.
The Allegheny River joins with the Monongahela River to form the Ohio
River at the "Point" of Point State Park in Downtown
do you know about the Allegheny River? Explore the Quick US Geography
Rivers and Streams Quiz. "Check Your Answers" at the end of
1. How long is the Allegheny River?
- 125 miles
- 225 miles
- 325 miles
2. The word Allegheny comes from the Lenape
(Delaware) Indians. Although it is usually translated as "fine
river", the meaning is not definitively known. There is a Lenape
legend of a tribe called "Allegewi" who used to live along the
3. The Allegheny rises in north central
Pennsylvania, about 10 miles south of the New York border. What is the
- Polk County
- Port County
- Potter County
4. What is the elevation at the source?
- 2,390 feet
- 2,490 feet
- 2,590 feet
5. What is the creek that flows into the Allegheny
River at Olean, New York?
- Olean Creek
- Fox Chapel Creek
- Simpson Creek
6. In the 16th century, control of the river
valley passed back-and-forth between tribes. Who was NOT one of the
7. What is the creek that flows into the Allegheny
River at Franklin, Pennsylvania?
- French Creek
- Moon Creek
- Benjamin Creek
8. During the 19th century, the river became a
principal means of navigation in the upper Ohio valley. What was an
9. In 1859, the first U.S. petroleum was drilled
north of the Allegheny River. What was the town?
- West Kittanning
10. At the mouth of the Allegheny River, what
river does it form?
- Ohio River
- Monongahela River
- Mississippi River