Battle of Shiloh - Aftermath
What do you know about Battle
Try this Alan’s US Civil War
“Check Your Answers”
at the end of the page.
Take 2 points for each right
answer. Maximum this page: 20 points!
1) Many credited Buell with taking control of the
broken Union forces and leading them to victory on April 7. Calls for
Grant's removal overwhelmed the White House.
2) Who replied with one of his most famous
quotations about Grant: "I can't spare this man; he fights?"
- President Lincoln
- Secretary of War Stanton
- Secretary of Defense Gates
3) Who emerged as an immediate hero, his
steadfastness under fire and amid chaos atoning for his previous
melancholy and his defensive lapses preceding the battle?
4) Grant's career suffered temporarily in the
aftermath of Shiloh. Henry W. Halleck combined and reorganized his armies,
relegating Grant to the powerless position.
What was the position?
- General of the Cavalry
- I Corps Commander
5) Halleck was promoted to be general in chief of
all the Union armies, and with his departure for the East, Grant was
restored to command.
6) Command of the Army of Mississippi fell to one of
the Corps commanders, who was promoted to full general on April 6. In the
fall of 1862, he led it on an unsuccessful invasion of Kentucky,
culminating in his retreat from the Battle of Perryville.
- William J. Hardee
- John C. Breckinridge
- Braxton Bragg
7) This total of 23,746 men (counting both sides)
represented more than the American battle-related casualties of the
American Revolutionary War, the War of 1812, and the Mexican-American War
8) The dead included the Confederate army's
commander, Albert Sidney Johnston.
Who was the highest ranking Union
- W.H.L. Wallace
- George Wallace, Jr.
- Booker T. Montgomery
9) Both sides were shocked at the carnage. None
suspected that three more years of such bloodshed remained in the war and
that eight larger and bloodier battles were yet to come.
Who came to
realize that his prediction of one great battle bringing the war to a
close was probably not destined to happen.
- U.S. Grant
- W.T. Sherman
- R.E. Lee
10) Shiloh Church at the battlefield survived the
battle. It is maintained by by the Tennessee Sons of Confederate Veterans