1) What Virginia (now West Virginia)
county was the Battle of Hoke's Run, also known as the Battle of Falling
Waters or Hainesville, took place on July 2, 1861 as part of the Manassas
Campaign of the American Civil War?
- Berkeley County
- Harrison County
- Morgan County
2) On July 2, Maj. Gen. Robert Patterson's
division crossed the Potomac River near Williamsport, Maryland and
marched on the main road to Martinsburg.
they cross the Potomac River?
- Hancock, Maryland
- Sleepy Creek
- Williamsport, Maryland
3) Near Hoke's Run, the Union brigades of
Cols. John J. Abercrombie and George H. Thomas encountered
Who was the Confederate
commander of the brigade of these regiments?
- Thomas J. Jackson
- Robert E. Lee
- James Longstreet
4) The Union troops drove the Confederate
troops back slowly
5) The Confederate commander was ordered to
stop the Federal advance, which he did, stopping before
Patterson's larger force arrived.
6) On July 3, Patterson occupied a Virginia
(now West Virginia) town, but made no further aggressive moves for
What was the town?
7) On July 15, where did Patterson and his troops march
- Bunker Hill
8) Instead on heading to Winchester, Virginia, where
did Patterson withdraw his men too?
- Harpers Ferry, Virginia (now West Virginia)
- Baltimore, Maryland
- Washington, DC
9) Patterson's retrograde movement took
pressure off Confederate forces in the Shenandoah Valley and
allowed Brig. Gen. Joseph E. Johnston's Army of the Shenandoah to
march to support Brig. Gen. P.G.T. Beauregard at Manassas
10) Patterson's inactivity contributed to the
Union defeat at the First Battle of (Manassas) Bull Run on July
When did he received an honorable discharge and
was mustered out of the Army?
- late July 1861
- March 6, 1862
- February 6, 1863