1) Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan assumed command
of Union forces in western Virginia in June 1861. His first personal
command in battle was at Rich Mountain.
2) On June 27, he moved his divisions south
against Confederates at Rich Mountain.
McClellan march his troops from?
3) Who was NOT a brigade
commander under McClellan?
- Thomas A. Morris
- William S. Rosecrans
- Charles W. White
4) Who command Confederate forces at Laurel Hill?
- Brig. Gen. Robert S. Baker
- Brig. Gen. Robert S. Garnett
- Brig. Gen. Robert S. Hope
5) Who commanded the Confederate forces at Rich
- Lt Col Edgar Buckhannon
- Lt Col Earl Montgomery
- Lt Col John Pegram
On July 10-11, a reinforced Union brigade travel by a mountain
path to seize the turnpike in Confederates rear.
is the turnpike?
- Staunton-Parkersburg Turnpike
- Richmond-Clarksburg Turnpike
- Winchester-Wheeling Turnpike
7) A sharp two-hour fight ensued in which the
Confederates were split in two.
Where did the
Confederate forces retreat to?
8) When did the Confederate commander and the others
(including the "Sydney Boys", a regiment formed from the students
of Hampden-Sydney College) surrender?
- July 13
- August 13
9) In the Union attack on Rich Mountain, what is
NOT a Union Regiment in the battle?
- 8th Indiana
- 13th Indiana
- 19th Indiana
10) In the Confederate defense on Rich Mountain, what
is NOT a Confederate Regiment in the
- 10th Virginia
- 20th Virginia
- 25th Virginia