Civil War: The
What do you know about the Civil War: The
Beginning? Try this US Civil War History Made Easy Trivia quiz.
"Check Your Answers" at the end of the page.
1) What was the date south Carolina
seceded from the Union (United States of America)?
- December 20, 1860
- December 25, 1860
- December 30, 1860
2) Fort Sumter located in Charleston
Harbor, South Carolina was still unfinished when the Confederate forces
opened fire on April 21, 1861. When did construction of the fort begin?
3) Major Robert Anderson commanded the
Union forces (68 soldiers, 9 officers, and 8 bandsmen) on Fort Sumter.
a former West Point instructor, Anderson taught what confederate
- Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard
- James Chestnut
- Roger Pryor
4) Confederate forces shelled Fort
Sumter for two day and nights before Major Robert Anderson surrendered.
About 4,000 pounds of 12 or 20 pound shells penetrated or battered the
fort. What was the Union casualties?
5) Union Private Daniel Hough became the
first Union soldier killed during the Civil War. When was he killed?
- During Union 50-gun salute accident
- During Confederate 50-gun salute
- Stray shot from Confederate solders as
Union troops left the fort
6) What was the euphemism Southern (and
some others) used when referring to slavery?
- Peculiar institution
- Indentured servitude
- Civil tyranny
7) The cotton gin gave impetuous for the
increase in slave labor to pick the cotton, feed the gins, bind the cotton
bales, and load cotton bales for shipment. Who invents the
- Eli Wallace
- Eli Whitney
- Eli Hayes
8) The 1803 Louisiana Purchase gave the
United states Frances's territory from the Mississippi River to the
Rocky Mountains between the Gulf of Mexico and the Canadian border.
was the purchase price?
- $15 million
- $150 million
- $250 million
9) What act in 1820 may have staved off
war, but showed that war over slavery was going to happen?
- Missouri Compromise
- Davis-Bacon Act
- Foreign Sedation Act
10) What was the latitude, north of
which slavery would be permanently banned?