What do you know about Sylvester the Cat. Try
this Classic Cartoon Trivia quiz. (Answers at the bottom of page.)
1) Who created Sylvester the Cat in the cartoon Life
With Feathers (1945).
- Bob Jacobin
- Friz Freleng
- Darlene Reynolds
2) Who voice actor Mel Blanc stated that Sylvester's
voice say he based Sylvester's voice on?
- Roy Rogers
- Bugs Bunny
- Daffy Duck
3) To emphasize the lisp, as with Daffy's
catchphrase "You're desthpicable", Sylvester's trademark
exclamation is "Sufferin' succotash!", which is said to
be a minced oath/euphemism of "Suffering Savior".
4) Sylvester shows a lot of pride in himself, and
never gives up. Despite (or perhaps because of) his pride and persistence,
Sylvester is, with rare exceptions, placed squarely on the
"loser" side of the Looney Tunes winner/loser hierarchy.
5) What Bob Clampett (1946) cartoon which a
black-nosed, yellow-eyed Sylvester was teamed with three other cats to
oust homeowner Porky Pig?
Aunts and Uncles
6) Back Alley Oproar (1948), a Friz Freleng
cartoon (actually a remake of the 1941 short Notes To You) wherein
Sylvester pesters the sleep-deprived Elmer Fudd by performing several
amazing musical numbers in the alley (and even a sweet lullaby ("go
to sleep...go to sleep...close your big bloodshot eyes...") to
temporarily ease Elmer back to the dream world ... very
7) In which 1950 Chuck Jones cartoon did Sylvester
play the Basil Rathbone-like villain to Daffy Duck's Errol Flynn-esque
- The Scarlet Pumpernickel
- Tweetie Pie
- Canary Row
8) In what film did Sylvester make a cameo
appearance in, where he provides the punchline for a double-entendre joke
regarding Judge Doom's identity?
Hanging TenBreez's Adventure
9) What was Sylvester was ranked on TV Guide's list
of top 50 best cartoon characters, together with Tweety.
10) Prior to Sylvester's appearance in the cartoons,
Blanc voiced a character named Sylvester on The Judy Canova Show
using the voice that would eventually become associated with the cat.