Choose an answer from the three choices
offered after each question and True or False. Then "Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
Set in the Georgia section of the Okefenokee Swamp, Pogo often
engaged in social and political satire through the adventures of the
strip's funny animals. Since Pogo occasionally used slapstick
physical humor, the same series of strips could often be enjoyed by
young children and by savvy adults on different levels.
2. Pogo Possum: The wisest (and probably sanest) resident of the swamp,
he is one of few major characters with the sense to avoid trouble. What
did the swamp residents for him to do many times and against his will?
- Date Marian
- Run for President
- Float to the Gulf of Mexico
3. Albert Alligator, enthusiastic and loyal, dimwitted and irascible,
is often the comic foil for Pogo or the fall guy for Owl and Churchy. Even
though he has been known to take advantage of Pogo's kindness and
generosity, he is ferociously loyal to Georgia's governor.
4. Who is the swamp's self-appointed resident scientist, professor,
doctor, explorer, witch doctor, and anything else he thought would
generate respect for his knowledge?
- Dr. Howland Owl
- P.T. Bridgeport
- M.T. Miller
5. Who is superstitious to a fault (for example, panicking when he
discovers that Friday the 13th falls on a Wednesday that month), they are
usually an active partner in Howland's schemes?
- Mark Reynolds
- Churchill "Churchy" LaFemme
- Morgan Freeman
6. Who was a hound dog and occasional policeman, he sees himself as a
romantic figure, often narrating his own heroic deeds?
- Beauregard Chaulmoogra Frontenac de Montmingle Bugleboy
- Miz Beaver
- Media Class
7. They never smiled in the strip (except once when the lights were
out). Pogo's best friend, equally honest and with a keen eye both for
goodness and for human foibles, they have two weaknesses: his infatuation
for Miss Mam'selle Hepzibah and a complete inability to tell a joke. Who
is the character?
- Panhandle Slim
- Joe Alpine
- Porky Pine
8. Perhaps the most famous example of the strip's satirical edge came
in 1953, when Kelly introduced a wildcat character named "Simple J.
Malarkey". Who was Malarkey a caricature of?
- Ike Eisenhower
- Harry Truman
- Senator Joseph McCarthy
9. Whenever he would start a controversial storyline, Kelly would
usually offer alternate strips that papers could run instead of the
political ones for a given week. What did Kelly call them?
- "It's Too Late"
- "The Bunny Strips"
- "Really Love Me Do"
10. The most famous line from the Pogo is "we have met the
enemy, and they are ours."