Born: January 21, 1922, Garden City, New York
Died: January 22, 1994 (aged 72), Universal City, California
“Telly” Savalas was a Greek-American film and television actor
and singer, whose career spanned four decades. Best known for playing
the title role in the popular 1970s crime drama Kojak, Savalas
was nominated for an Oscar for his supporting role in Birdman of
1. He was famous for his shaved head.
2. Savalas served the military during World War II from 1943-1946.
Which serves branch did he serve?
- Army Air Force
3. Starting at age 28, Savalas hosted a popular radio show in New
York City. What was the show named?
- Telly and Company
- Three Lives
4. Savalas started out as an executive director and then senior
director of the news special events at ABC. He then became an executive
producer for the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports where he gave his
first job. Who did he hire for the program?
- Bing Crosby
- Curley Howard
- Howard Cosell
5. His first acting role was on And Bring Home a Baby, an
episode of Armstrong Circle Theater in January 1959.
6. Who brought him to Hollywood and has him appear in three movies
with him. Who is the actor?
- Clark Gable
- Burt Lancaster
- Kirk Douglas
7. Savalas shaved his head for his role in a 1965 movie. After
completing work on the movie, he chose to remain completely bald. What
was the 1965 movie?
The Dirty Dozen
- The Greatest Story Ever Told
8. He was nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Lead Actor in a
Drama Series two years in a row. When did he win the Emmy for Kojak?
9. Savalas died of complications of bladder cancer at the
Sheraton-Universal Hotel in Universal City, California.
10. Where is Telly Savalas buried?
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery, Glendale, California
- Forest Lawn Cemetery (Hollywood Hills), Los Angeles, California
- Desert Memorial Park, Cathedral City, Riverside County, California