Born: April 19, 1899, San Francisco, California
Died: September 4, 1985 (age 86), Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
O'Brien was an American actor, popular during the silent film era
and into the talkie era of the 1930s.
1. In 1924, he was chosen by a famous director to play the youthful
leading man in the epic Western, “The Iron Horse.” The movie’s
success brought O'Brien overnight stardom. Who is this famous director?
- Howard Hawks
- Raoul Walsh
- John Ford
2. He is the son of John O’Brien. His father held an important
position, what was it?
- Governor of California
- Mayor of San Francisco
- San Francisco police chief
3. In 1931, he plays the lead, Jim Lassiter in the “Riders of the
Purple Sage.” The movie is based on this author’s novel. Who is the
- Max Brand
- Red Ryder
- Zane Grey
4. He served in which branch of the military in World War One, World
War Two, the Korean War, and the Vietnam War?
5. In the 1948, George O’Brien stars as the commanding officer of
Fort Stark. What does O’Brien’s play?
- Captain Nathan Britles
- Major Mac Allshard
- Major John Dundee
6. In the 1938 “The Renegade Ranger” O’Brien’s leading lady
would become one of Hollywood’s leading female stars. Who is this
- Rita Hayworth
- Marilyn Monroe
- Claire Trevor
7. Throughout the 1930s, O'Brien was a consistent Top Ten box-office
draw appearing in scores of Westerns, often atop his horse named Wayne.
8. O'Brien married on July 15, 1933 and the couple had a son, Darcy
O'Brien in 1939 who would become a successful writer and a daughter,
Orin O'Brien who would become a double bassist with the New York
Philharmonic. A third child, Brian, died in infancy. The couple divorced
in 1948. Who was his actress wife?
- Marguerite Churchill
- Janet Gaynor
- Margaret Mitchell
9. While serving in the Naval Reserve, O'Brien took on a project for
the Department of Defense as part of President Eisenhower's “People to
People” program. He was project officer for a series of orientation
films on three Asian countries. One of these films, on Korea, was
directed by his old friend, John Ford. The other two countries covered
were Formosa (Taiwan) and the Philippines.
10. In 1964, he played Major Braden. What is the movie?
- Cheyenne Autumn
- My Wild Irish Rose
- Trouble in Sundown
11. Where is George O'Brien buried?
- Sleepy Hollow Cemetery, Concord, Massachusetts
- Spencer Estate Grounds, Great Brington, Northampton, England
- Buried at sea