Born: February 26, 1882, Henderson, Kentucky
Died: May 14, 1968 (age 85), Groton, Connecticut
Edward Kimmel was a four-star admiral in the United States Navy. He
served as Commander-in-chief, U.S. Pacific Fleet at the time of the
Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Because of the attack, he was removed
from office and was reverted back to his permanent two-star rank of rear
admiral. He would subsequently retire from the Navy with that rank.
What do you know about Husband Kimmel? Try this World War II Quick
1. When did he graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy?
2. What battleship did he command?
- USS Arizona
- USS Connecticut
- USS New York
3. After promotion to Rear Admiral in 1937, he commanded Cruiser
Division Seven on a diplomatic cruise to South America
4. When did Kimmel became Commander of Cruisers, Battle Force?
5. In February 1941 Kimmel became Commander in Chief, U.S. Fleet and
Pacific Fleet, with the temporary rank of admiral. The base for the
fleet had been moved from its traditional home at San Diego, California
to Pearl Harbor.
6. Edwin T. Layton related that during the attack, �Kimmel stood by
the window of his office at the submarine base, his jaw set in stony
anguish. As he watched the disaster across the harbor unfold with
terrible fury, a spent .50 caliber machine gun bullet crashed through
the glass. It brushed the admiral before it clanged to the floor. It cut
his white jacket and raised a welt on his chest. �It would have been
merciful had it killed me,� Kimmel murmured to his communications
officer, Commander Maurice �Germany� Curts.� What was Layton's
- Combat Intelligence Officer
- Battleship Commander
- Pearl Harbor Base Commander
7. Kimmel's critics point out that he had been ordered (on November
27, 1941, ten days prior to the attack) to initiate a "defensive
deployment" of the fleet. Kimmel understood this to mean defense
against sabotage and so made the necessary arrangements. Because of
this, Kimmel ordered all aircraft carries to sea to find the missing
Japanese aircraft carriers.
8. When did he retire from the Navy?
9. Rear Admiral Kimmel's son, Manning, died when the submarine he
commanded was mined near Palawan, Philippines in July 1944. What was the
- USS Kingfish
- USS Robalo
- USS Sword
10. Where is Husband Kummel buried?
- United States Naval Academy Cemetery, Annapolis, Maryland
- Elizabethtown City Cemetery, Elizabethtown, Kentucky
- Llano Cemetery, Amarillo, Texas