Born: September 4, 1918, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Died: February 28, 2009 (aged 90) Phoenix, Arizona
What do you know about Paul
Harvey? Try this Quick Quiz.
1. What was Harvey's birth last name?
2. In 1921, when Harvey was three years old, his
father was murdered. He and a friend - a Tulsa police detective - were
rabbit hunting while off-duty when approached by four armed men who
attempted to rob them. Paul's father was shot and died two days later of
3. In 1933, at a high school teacher’s
suggestion, he started working at a local radio station KVOO in Tulsa.
His first job was helping clean up. Eventually he was allowed to fill in
on the air, reading commercials and the news. What was the station?
4. Harvey moved to Chicago, where in June 1944, he
began broadcasting from the ABC affiliate. What was the station?
5. When did the ABC Radio Network debuted Paul
Harvey News and Comment "Commentary and analysis of Paul Harvey
each weekday at 12 Noon"?
- February 6, 1947
- April 1, 1951
- July 8, 1955
6. In 1940, Harvey married Lynne Harvey (née
Cooper) of St. Louis. What was the nickname, Harvey called his wife?
7. Many believe Harvey's on-air persona mirrored
that of sportscaster. Who was the sportscaster?
- Art Fleming
- Chris Young
- Bill Stern
8. What was his listening audience estimated at a
- 11 million people
- 22 million people
- 33 million people
9. In 2005, When was he awarded the Presidential
Medal of Freedom, the United States' most prestigious civilian award?
10. Where is Paul Harvey buried?
- Forest Home Cemetery, Forest Park, Illinois
- Fort Sam Houston National Cemetery, San Antonio, Texas
- Texas A&M Memorial Cemetery, College Station, Texas