Devil Anse Hatfield
Born: Sep. 9, 1839, Logan County,
Virginia (now West Virginia)
Died: Jan. 6, 1921, (age 81) Logan County, West Virginia
Anderson "Devil Anse" Hatfield
was the patriarch of the Hatfield clan in the infamous Hatfield-McCoy
feud. Devil Anse himself survived the feud, and agreed to end the feud
What do you know about Devil Anse Hatfield? Try
this Folk Quick Quiz.
1. Hatfield formed a Confederate guerrilla
fighting unit during the Civil War. What was the group known as?
- "The Logan Wildcats"
- "Logan Gunfighters"
- "Tug Fork Warriors"
2. With his wife, Levicy, he produced nine boys
and four girls.
He owned considerable land and ran a successful
3. Some historians believe the beginning of the
famous Hatfield-McCoy feud found its beginning in 1865 when, Randolph
"Ole Ran'l" McCoy's brother, a Union Army veteran was found
shot to death. Who was the McCoy?
- Asa McCoy
- Amos McCoy
- Luke McCoy
4. Others point to an 1878 complaint filed by
"Ole Ran'l" McCoy against Floyd Hatfield, Devil Anse's cousin,
for stealing his hogs. In June 1880, a Hatfield was killed by two McCoy
brothers, Sam and Paris, who were later acquitted on the grounds of
self-defense. Who was the Hatfield killed?
- Anderson "Preacher Anse"
- David Ray
5. The feud escalated after Roseanna McCoy began
an affair with Devil Anse's son, leaving her family to live with the
Hatfields in West Virginia. Roseanna eventually returned to the McCoys,
but when the couple tried to resume their relationship, Devil Anse's son
was kidnapped by the McCoys and was saved only when Roseanna made a
desperate ride to alert Devil Anse Hatfield, who organized a rescue
party. Who was the son?
- Johnse Hatfield
- Moses Hatfield
- Robert E. Lee Hatfield
6. Despite what was seen as a betrayal of her
family on his behalf, Devil Anse's son thereafter abandoned the pregnant
Roseanna. In 1881, Devil Anse's son married Roseanna's cousin. Who was
- Nancy McCoy
- Betty McCoy
- Mildred Ann McCoy
7. Anse's brother Ellison was killed by McCoys,
Anse responded by killing his brother's murderers for which an
indictment was issued but no further action taken. Tension between the
two families remained high. Hatfield supporters burned the McCoy's
homestead, killing two adult children, Alifair and Calvin, and seriously
injuring Mrs. McCoy. When did they burn the McCoy's homestead?
- New Years Day 1888
- Valentines Day 1888
- July 4th, 1888
8. In September 1889, the captured Hatfields were
tried for the death of Alifair McCoy, seven went to prison and a eighth
hung. Who was hung for Alifair McCoy's murder?
- Valentine Hatfield
- Ellison Mounts
- Elias Hatfield
9. Never wounded, despite his violent life, what
was the cause of Devil Anse's death?
- Lead poison
- Lung cancer
10. Where is Devil Anse Hatfield buried?
- Hatfield Family Cemetery, Sarah Ann, West
- Spring Hill Cemetery, Spring Hill, West
- Forest Lawn Cemetery, Pecks Mill, West Virginia