Gibson was a rodeo champion and a pioneer
cowboy film actor, film director and producer.
What do you know about Hoot Gibson?
Enjoy this Hoot Gibson
"Check Your Answers" at the end of the quiz.
You'll find 12
Questions about Hoot Gibson.
Born in Tekamah, NE, August 6, 1892, what was Hoot's birth name?
- Dick Stanley Gibson
- Edmund Richard Gibson
- William Stanley Gibson
How did he get his nickname, Hoot?
- Working for the Owl Drug Company.
- He liked to smoke Owl cigars.
- He rode a world champion bucking horse Owl.
3. During World War One, Hoot served in the Army.
What rank did he
4. He won the title World's All Around Champion Cowboy.
How old was
he when he won the award.
5. From the 1920s through the 1940s, Hoot Gibson was a major film
attraction, ranking second as a western film box office
Who was the top ranking Western star?
- John Wayne
- Gene Autry
- Tom Mix
6. In 1921, he got his big break when he was cast as Sandy in the
Who directed the film?
- Harry Carey
- King Vidor
- John Ford
7. In 1933, Hoot injured himself when he crashed his plane while racing
cowboy star Ken Maynard in the National Air Races.
8. Hoot was off the screen for nearly six years before returning. In
1941, he teamed up with Ken Maynard at Monogram for The Trail Blazers.
was the other star in these trio Westerns?
- Rex Allen
- Bill Elliott
- Bob Steele
9. In 1959, John Ford brought Hoot back to the screen in a supporting
role with John Wayne.
What was the movie?
- The Horse Soldiers
- Ocean's Eleven
- The Marshall's Daughter
10. In the 1950s the out-of-work cowboy star was reduced to working as
a Las Vegas casino greeter and performing in carnivals in order to handle
the enormous debts that mounted after a series of cancer operations.
died: on August 23, 1962,
at age 70 in Los Angeles, California.
What was Gibson's cause of death?
- Heart Disease
was Hoot Gibson buried?
- Inglewood Park Cemetery, Inglewood, California
- Forest Lawn Cemetery, Glendale, California
- National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum Cemetery, Oklahoma
Hoot Gibson [Answers]
1) B. 2) A. 3) B. 4) A. 5) C. 6) C. 7) True 8) C. 9) A. 10) True
11) A. 12) A. Plot: Magnolia Plot, Lot 92, Grave 6.