Born: December 14, 1896, Alameda, California
Died: September 27, 1993 (age 93), Pebble Beach,
James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, USAF was an American
aviation pioneer. Doolittle served as a brigadier general, major general
and lieutenant general in the United States Army Air Forces during the
Second World War. He earned the Medal of Honor for his valor and
leadership as commander of the Doolittle Raid while a lieutenant
What do you know about Jimmy Doolittle? Take off with this World War
II Quick Quiz.
1. He enlisted in the Signal Corps Reserve as a flying cadet and
trained at the University of California School of Military Aeronautics
at Rockwell Field, California. When was he commissioned a second
lieutenant in the Signal Corps' Aviation Section?
- March 11, 1918
- April 11, 1918
- May 11, 1918
2. In 1922, he returned to complete his college degree and earned the
Bachelor of Arts from the University of California, Berkeley. He
received his S.M. in Aeronautics from MIT in June 1924 and his Sc.D. in
Aeronautics, which he received in June 1925.
3. Doolittle resigned his regular commission on February 15, 1930 and
was commissioned a major in the Specialist Reserve Corps a month later,
being named manager of a corporate aviation department. What was the
- Standard Oil of New York
- Shell Oil
4. When did he return to active duty as a major?
- July 1, 1940
- July 1, 1941
- July 1, 1942
5. Who played Doolittle in the 1944 film Thirty Seconds Over
- Spencer Tracy
- Gene Autry
- Clark Gable
6. In September, 1942, he became commanding general of a air force
unit in North Africa. What unit did he command?
- Twelfth Air Force
- Twenty-fourth Air Force
- First Air Force
7. From January 1944 to September 1945, he held his largest command,
the Eighth Air Force (8 AF) in England as a Lieutenant General, his
promotion date being March 13, 1944.
8. When did he retire from Air Force duty?
- February 6, 1959
- February 28, 1959
- February 6, 1965
9. When did Doolittle marry Josephine E. Daniels?
- December 24, 1917
- December 24, 1927
- December 24, 1937
10. Where is Jimmy Doolittle buried?
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California
- Rock Creek Cemetery, Washington, DC
- Arlington National Cemetery, Arlington, Virginia