Born: January 22, 1931, Clarksdale, Mississippi
Died: December 11, 1964 (aged 33), Los Angeles, California
Cooke was an American gospel, R&B, soul, and pop singer,
songwriter, and entrepreneur. He is considered to be one of the pioneers
and founders of soul music.
What do you know about Sam Cooke? Try this Rock & Roll Heaven
1. He was one of seven children of Annie Mae and the Reverend Charles
Cook. What occupation was his father?
- Baptist minister
- Meat butcher
2. Until 1957, what was the gospel group he sang with?
- Heaven Helpers
- God's Crusaders
- The Soul Stirrers
3. His first pop single, "Lovable" (1956), was released
under the alias in order to not alienate his gospel fan base. What name
did he use?
- Ben E. Cooker
- Dale Cooke
- Ira Hayes
4. In 1957, what Sam Cooke single hit #1 on the Pop Chart?
- "You Send Me"
- "Live Nation"
- "Baby, Now that I Found You"
5. He signs with RCA Victor and one of his first RCA singles was the
hit "Chain Gang." What did it reach on the Billboard pop
6. This song was released as a single in 1962 and became very
popular, charting in the top ten of both the Billboard Hot 100 (#9) and
Billboard's R&B chart (#1). What is the name of a song written and
recorded by Sam Cooke?
- "You Say that You Love Me"
- "Running, Running, Running
- "Twistin' the Night Away"
7. "Another Saturday Night" is the title of a 1963 hit
single by Sam Cooke. It reached #10 on the Billboard Hot 100, #1 R&B
and UK #23. Who had the #6 hit in 1974?
- Cat Stevens
- Rod Stewart
- The Marvelettes
8. "Shake" is a song written and recorded by Sam Cooke
(U.S. Pop #7, U.S. R&B #4). Who's version was elected to the
"500 Songs that Shaped Rock and Roll " by the Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame and Museum?
- Eric Burdon and The Animals
- The Supremes
- Otis Redding
9. Cooke died at the at the Hacienda Motel at 9137 South Figueroa in
Los Angeles, California, which has since been torn down. He was shot to
death by Bertha Franklin, manager of the motel who claimed that he had
threatened her, and that she killed him in self-defense. The shooting
was ultimately ruled to be a justifiable homicide, though there have
been arguments that crucial details did not come out in court, or were
10. Where is Sam Cooke buried?
- Hollywood Forever . Hollywood, California
- Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery, Glendale, California
- Evergreen Cemetery, Los Angeles, California