Kentucky Hot Brown Turkey Sandwiches
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons
milk, heated to scalding point
Salt and freshly ground black
pepper to taste
Cayenne pepper to taste
1/2 cup sharp
Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tablespoon dry sherry
8 slices white sandwich
3/4 pound roasted
turkey, sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 thin Slices fresh
Parmesan cheese, grated
turkey bacon, cooked
1) Over medium-low heat, melt butter in a small saucepan.
2) Sauté onion in butter until soft.
3) Blend in flour and
cook, while stirring, for about 3 minutes.
4) Remove pan from
heat and slowly whip in hot milk.
5) Return pan to heat and
continue to blend until mixture is smooth and thick.
salt, peppers, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for
7) Blend in cheese and sherry, stirring until mixture is
8) For each portion, on a oven-proof dish/platter,
arrange 2 slices toast and place 3-ounces sliced turkey
9) Top each sandwich with 2 tomato slices.
Smother warm sauce over sandwiches.
10) Sprinkle each sandwich
with 1-teaspoon Parmesan.
11) Broil under a preheated broiler about 4 inches from
heat for 4-6 minutes, or until top is golden brown.
each with 2 slices warm bacon, forming an "X" in the
center of each sandwich.
Southern Cooking Did You Know?
The cuisine of the Southern United States
is defined as the regional culinary form of states generally
south of the Potomac River, and extending west to Texas.