Portuguese Bean Soup
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Prep time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 1 hr. 30 min.
- 1 - Portuguese sausage, cut into
1/4 inch rounds
- 1 - ham hock
- 1 - small onion, diced
- 1 - can (15 oz.) kidney beans,
- 1 - can (14.5 oz.) chicken
broth, low sodium type
- 1 - can (14.5 oz.) stewed
- 1 - small potato, diced into 1
- In a large pot on medium high
heat, add sausage and cook for 10 min.
- Now, take the sausage out of the
pot and remove fat.
- Add back the cooked Portuguese
sausage and add ham hock, onion, kidney beans (without the
liquid), chicken broth, stewed tomatoes, and potato. Simmer
for 1 hour.
- Remove the ham hock and cut meat
away from the bone.
- Cube the meat from the ham
- Add the meat back to the soup.
Member: America's Home Cooking