June's Soup Beans
Makes 10 - 12 servings
Prep Time: 10 min.
Soaking Time: overnight
Cooking Time: 6 to 8 hrs.
- 1 � pound dried pinto beans, washed and
picked over for pebbles
- 2 � cups water
- 8 � ounces salt pork or 2 smoked ham
hocks (1 pound)
- Soak beans in 7 cups of water overnight.
Use a glass or ceramic container and do not drain.
- Place the beans with the water in a
saucepan and add the pork. Cover and simmer for 6 to 8 hours. Add water
as needed to keep the beans covered.
- When cooked, the beans hold their shape
but are soft throughout.
- Remove the pork and serve separate.
- If desired, thicken the broth by boiling
it down and masking in some cooked beans. You can also puree a cup of
the beans in a food processor and return to the soup.
Member: America's Home Cooking Network