Alfredo Scallops in Herbed Bread Bowls
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min.
Baking time: 14 min.
Cooking time: 12 min.
- Bread Bowls Ingredients:
- 1 - can (16 to 16.3-ounce) (8
biscuits) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 2 - Tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 - Tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 - teaspoon dried Italian seasoning*
- Scallops Ingredients:
- 3/4 - pound bay scallops
- 2 - Tablespoons butter
- 2 - medium (2 cups) red, green and/or
yellow bell pepper
- 1 - large (1 cup) onion, chopped
- 1 - teaspoon finely chopped fresh
- 1 - cup purchased Alfredo sauce
Heat oven to 350°F. Slightly crush 8
(25x12-inch) pieces of aluminum foil to make 8 (3 1/2-inch) balls of foil;
flatten slightly. Place foil balls onto large ungreased baking sheet,
- Press each biscuit into 5 1/2-inch circle.
Brush with melted butter; sprinkle with cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Place 1 circle dough over each foil ball,
shaping gently to fit, but not allowing dough to touch baking sheet.
- You want to bake for 14 to 18 minutes or
until golden brown. Carefully remove bowls from foil and set aside.
- Drain scallops and pat dry with paper
towels. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons butter in
10-inch skillet until sizzling; add pepper, onions and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring
occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes or until peppers are crisply tender.
- Add scallops and continue cooking,
stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until scallops turn white.
- Add Alfredo sauce; continue cooking,
stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until mixture is heated
- To serve, ladle soup into each bread bowl.
*Substitute 1/4 teaspoon each dried
basil leaves, dried marjoram leaves and dried oregano leaves and 1/8
teaspoon rubbed sage.
Alan’s Kitchen Tip: Restaurant-style bread bowls are easy to make
at home! We’ve jump-started the process by using the large-size
refrigerated biscuits instead of yeast dough to form the bowls. The large
biscuits work best because they will bake into bowls big enough to hold the
soup. Thicker soups are perfect to use in bread bowls because broth-type
soups soak right through the baked dough making the bowls wet and soggy.