Portabella and Bell Pepper Sandwiches
Prep Time: 15 min.
Grilling Time: 12 min.
- 6 fresh large portabella mushroom
- 1 large bell pepper, cut into
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 round focaccia bread (8 or 9 inch)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- 4 leaf lettuce leaves
Preheat gas or charcoal grill.
- Brush mushrooms, bell pepper and onion
with oil; sprinkle with seasoned salt.
- Place vegetables in grill basket (grill
- Place grill basket on grill over medium
- Cover grill and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, shaking
basket occasionally to turn vegetables, until bell pepper
and onion are crisp-tender and mushrooms are just tender.
- Cut bread horizontally in half. Mix
mayonnaise and pesto.
- Spread over cut sides of bread. Layer
lettuce and grilled vegetables on bottom half of bread. Add
top of bread. Cut into 6 wedges.
Alan's Kitchen Tip: When red bell
peppers are in season, go ahead and use one. Either red or green
bell pepper tastes great. Whole-grain sandwich buns can be used
instead of the focaccia.