Upside-Down Chicken Pot Pie
Quick-to-mix crust tops a traditional
pot pie filling.
Prep time: 20 min
Baking time: 25 min
- Filling Ingredients:
- 2 - cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 - cup chopped celery
- 1 - package (12-ounce) frozen vegetable
combination (broccoli, carrot and water chestnuts), thawed
- 2 - cans (10 3/4-ounce) condensed cream of
- 1/4 - teaspoon pepper
- 4 - ounces (1 cup) Deli American Cheese,
- Topping Ingredients:
- 1 - cup Half & Half
- 2 - eggs
- 2 - Tablespoons Butter, melted
- 1 - cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 - teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 425 degrees �F.
- in 12-inch skillet, you want to combine chicken,
celery, vegetables, soup, and pepper.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally,
until mixture comes to a boil (10 to 14 minutes).
- Meanwhile, combine half & half, eggs and butter
in small bowl and beat at medium speed 1 minute.
- Add flour and salt; continue beating until smooth
- Pour hot chicken mixture into ungreased 13x9-inch
(3-quart) baking dish. Top with cheese.
- Pour topping mixture carefully over cheese.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until puffed and
- Serve immediately.
Alan's Kitchen Tip
Pot pies are usually topped with a pastry crust. The
batter used for the "crust" of this pot pie is more typically used
for popovers, baked in special individual popover pans. When heated, the
thin batter creates enough steam to cause the batter to "pop up"
and form a puffed topping.