Fort Scott National Historic Site
P.O. Box 918
Fort Scott, KS 66701
Coordinates: 37°50′38″N 94°42′17″W
Fort Scott National Historic Site is a historical
area under the control of the United States National Park Service in
Bourbon County, Kansas, United States. Named after Mexican-American
War General Winfield Scott, during the middle of the 19th century it
served as a military base for army action in what was the edge of
settlement in 1850. For the next quarter century, it was used as a
supply base and to provide security in turbulent areas during the
opening of the West to settlement, a period which included Bleeding
Kansas and the American Civil War.
The current national historic site protects 20
historic structures, a parade ground, and five acres (20,000 mē) of
restored tallgrass prairie, inside the city of Fort Scott. It is
open to visitors most days of the year.
National Historic Site is located in downtown Fort Scott, Kansas.
U.S. Highways 69 and 54 intersect here. Fort Scott is about 90 miles
south of Kansas City and 60 miles northwest of Joplin, Missouri. It
is 4 miles from the Kansas-Missouri border.
Signs directing visitors to Fort Scott are posted
on highway 69 for visitors coming from the north and the south and
on highway 54 for visitors coming from the east and the west.
The entrance to the site is one block west of the
intersection of Highway 69 and Highway 54 east. (Highway 54 west
splits off from Highway 69 about 1/2 mile north of town.)
Picnicking is allowed
on the site and a designated picnic area is located near the RV and
Bus Parking area. Picnic tables are also located on Skubitz Plaza
adjacent to the site.