Jackson Lake State Park
940 Resort Drive
Roanoke, WV 26447
Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park is a state park along the shores
of Stonewall Jackson Lake, an impoundment on the West Fork River in
the State of West Virginia. The lake is a project of the United
States Army Corps of Engineers. The original park was completed in
1990 and consisted of a campground, marina, multi-purpose building,
and park offices.
Unfortunately, the revenues generated from park activities were not
able to support the debt from construction activities. Senator Robert
C. Byrd developed a legislation that meant the State would not have to
pay the Corps the $28 million debt if improvements to the State Park
exceeded $28 million.
The state chose to venture with the private firm, McCabe-Henley
Properties of Charleston. McCabe-Henley, through a bond-issuing
agency, sold $44 million in bonds to private markets and investors.
This provided a sum of $54 ($10 million from the State and $44 million
from investors), which has been used to build the resort.
McCabe-Henley selected management company Benchmark Hospitality
International to manage the State Park and Resort. For marketing
purposes, the resort is referred to as Stonewall Resort and Stonewall
Resort State Park despite the legal name of the park still being
Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park.
The resort is located in Lewis County, West Virginia, about 10
miles south of Weston and about three miles off the Roanoke Exit (Exit
91) of Interstate 79. Although the resort itself is beautiful and
welcoming, visitors should note that it is located in a fairly
secluded area of West Virginia. The only nearby attraction is a local
winery and the only restaurants outside of the lodge restaurants are
fast food in nature and over 10 miles away.
- 3 restaurants: Stillwaters, TJ Muskies, and Lightburns
- 18 hole Signature Arnold Palmer Golf Course
- golf driving range
- 20 conference rooms (14,000 sq. ft. total)
- full-service spa
- fitness center
- hiking and mountain biking trails
- indoor swimming pool
- outdoor swimming pool
- fishing and boating in Stonewall Jackson Lake
- marina (with boat launch and rentals)
- 125 passenger cruise boat
- 3 rental houseboats
- 10 cottages
- 198 guest rooms and suites
- 40 campsites
- All Commons areas Wireless Enabled, high speed wired available
- Cell Phone repeater system for entire lodge