of the Forest
Forest is steeped in the history of the Civilian
Conservation Corps of the 1930's and 1940's. The CCC
camps including the one at Cabwaylingo were
established to rebuild forested acres which in turn
marks the beginnings of the West Virginia State Park
During the 1930's, the hard working members
of the CCC built log cabins with stone fireplaces,
the superintendent's residence, picnic areas,
hiking trails and a fire tower.
Many of these
structures still exist, and are in use today.
Examples of their labor can be found at the old CCC
barracks, which now serves as a 100 person group
camp. Located near the campgrounds, the historical
Tick Ridge Fire Tower, built in 1935, stands today
as only one of less than a dozen fire towers still
remaining but not operational in the State.
offer several rustic picnic shelters that can
accommodate any size gathering. These shelters are
perfect for small group picnics or large family and
furnished with picnic tables, fireplaces, playground
equipment, drinking water and conveniently located
toilet facilities. Picnic shelters may be reserved
in advanced through park headquarters.