Grant County, WV Parks
Explore Grant County!
County is a county located in the U.S.
state of West Virginia. As of 2000, the population is 11,299. Its
county seat is Petersburg. Grant County was created from Hardy County
in 1866 and named for General Ulysses Simpson Grant. After the
American Civil War, there was an effort by former Confederates to name
it 'Lee County' instead after General Robert E. Lee, but the effort
VERNON W. WELTON PARK
29 acres located 2 miles northeast of
Petersburg along the South Branch Potomac River on Route 220. Known
for its beauty and animal rock formation know as the "Fox &
Ox rocks". Five picnic pavilions, restroom facilities, playground
area, ball fields, two boat ramps, a walking track and other par,
CITY PARK - PETERSBURG
12 acres along the South Branch Potomac
river near the center of town. Four lighted tennis courts, basketball
court, three picnic pavilions with fireplaces, lighted .baseball
field, swimming pool, playground, picnic areas, restrooms and a
gazebo. Cite of the annual Spring Mountain Festival in April and 4th
of July events.
18 acres located 7 miles southwest of
Petersburg on Route 28. Five residential cabins, shower/restroom
building, dining hall and kitchen. Two ball fields, basketball court,
volleyball area, playground, campfire area, four pavilions and a large
stage. Open May - September.
20 acres located 6 miles from Petersburg
on Patterson Creek Road in Arthur. Large wooded picnic area with three
pavilions and fireplaces. Also includes a large playground area,
baseball and softball fields, volleyball area and restrooms.
10 acres located on Route 42 in Mount
Storm. Includes three picnic pavilions with fireplaces. Large
playground area, paved basketball court, ball field and restrooms.
Highlights and up-to-date library which is located on the park site.
6 acres located 12 miles north of
Petersburg on Route 42 in Maysville. Contains the county's only public
rifle and archery range, pistol range, muzzle loader range, and
regulation trap shooting field. Other facilities include two picnic
pavilions with fireplaces and a playground area.
Fort Mulligan is located on Route 28
South near Grant Memorial Hospital.
During the Civil War, both Federal or
Confederate troops occupied the hill and surrounding area beginning at
least as early as August, 1861. the fort, itself, was built by Union
Colonel James A. Mulligan, from Illinois, along with his 23rd Illinois
troops and more from Ohio, Pennsylvania and western Virginia.
During an expedition to the area in 1864, Major
General Jubal A. Early praised the fortifications and commended the
efforts of the men. The fort is still regarded as one of the best
preserved fortifications in West Virginia.
Page 1 of 1