BEST Picnic Guides
Google
 
Web Alan's Kitchen Recipes

FUN Trivia Quizzes | Grocery Shopping Tips | Picnic Menus | Picnic Tips

Home >> BEST Places to Picnic >> Washington  

 Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Food, Cooking, Picnic, Tailgate, & Backyard Recipes plus more...

 
 
 

 

Cape Disappointment State Park (WA)

Cape Disappointment State Park (WA) - BEST Places to Picnic

Lewis and Clark National Historical Park
92343 Fort Clatsop Road
Astoria, OR 97103-9197

Phone
Headquarters
(503) 861-2471
Visitor Information
(503) 861-2471 ext. 214

WELCOME to Cape Disappointment State Park (WA)

After missing the entrance to what was later named the Columbia River, English explorer John Meares dubbed the massive headland jutting out into the Pacific Ocean �Cape Disappointment.� That was in 1788. Almost 20 years later, Capt. William Clark and members of the Corps of Discovery explored the headland in their final push to the Pacific Ocean.

Today Cape Disappointment State Park offers 27 miles of ocean beach, two lighthouses, hiking trails, camping and the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center.

Perched on a cliff 200 feet above the mouth of the Columbia River, the center tells the story of the Corps of Discovery�s journey, focusing particularly on their Pacific Coast stay. It�s a wonderful stop for families, with interactive exhibits that let children try to pack a canoe without tipping it, follow a treasure hunt and check out what the Corps had for its inaugural meal (hint: it was served on china) to what it ate during the rainy winter at Fort Clatsop (roots and sometimes dog figured into the menu.)

During winter and spring, trained volunteers come to the center to help visitors spot passing Gray whales on their migration. You can also learn about the nearby North Head and Cape Disappointment Lighthouses. Cape Disappointment Lighthouse is the oldest operating lighthouse on the West Coast. The lighthouses both function to protect mariners from the rough and ever-changing Columbia River Bar in the treacherous area known as the Graveyard of the Pacific.

There are several short hikes nearby, many of which follow routes that Capt. Clark and the Corps took to explore the ocean beach below. The park produces a helpful guide, �Hiking Trails of Cape Disappointment State Park� available at the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center.

The world renowned designer Maya Lin is working with Washington State Parks to redevelop a portion of Cape Disappointment as part of her Confluence Project.

The park offers breathtaking views of the Pacific Ocean and Columbia River, with old-growth forest, lakes, freshwater and saltwater marshes, as well as streams and tidelands along the ocean. Three vacation rentals are available.

Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center: Open year-round from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily. Admission into the center is $3 per adult and $1 per child ages 7 to 17. Children ages 6 and under enter for free.

North Head Lighthouse: Open seasonally to visitors (tours cost $1 per person). No Federal or State passes. Call the park office at (360) 642-3078 for hours and tour information.

The Colbert House Museum: Open May 26 through Sept. 30 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Friday through Sunday.

In 1788, while in search of the Columbia River, English Captain John Meares missed the passage over the river bar and named the nearby headland Cape Disappointment for his failure in finding the river. In 1792, American Captain Robert Gray successfully crossed the river bar and named the river "Columbia" after his ship, the Columbia Rediviva. Only a few years later, in 1805, the Lewis and Clark Expedition arrived at Cape Disappointment.

The Cape Disappointment Lighthouse was constructed in 1856 to warn seamen of the treacherous river bar known by then as "the graveyard of the Pacific." This is the oldest functioning lighthouse on the West Coast.

In 1862, Cape Disappointment was armed with smoothbore cannons to protect the mouth of the Columbia River from enemies. The installation was expanded to become Fort Canby in 1875. The fort was named after General Edward Canby, who was killed in the Modoc Indian War. The fort continued to be improved until the end of World War II. Gun batteries still sit up top the park.

Page 1 of 1  More Picnic Sites


Powered by ... All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
Email | AlansKitchen Privacy Policy | Clair & Esther Eastep Save-A Park Foundation | Thank you

Contact Us | About Us | Site Map