Leesylvania State Park
2001 Daniel K. Ludwig Dr.
Woodbridge, VA, 22191
Leesylvania State Park is located in the
southeastern part of Prince William County, Virginia. The land
was donated in 1978 by philanthropist Daniel K. Ludwig, and the park
was dedicated in 1985 and opened full-time in 1992.
At the time of early English settlers, Leesylvania
was believed to be the site of an Algonquian village, overlooking
Henry Lee II settled on the land from 1747 until
his death in 1787. He and his wife had eight children at their home,
including Henry "Light Horse Harry" Lee, Revolutionary War hero and
future father of Civil War general Robert E. Lee. George Washington
mentions visiting the Lee House three times in his diaries. In
1825 the property was sold to Henry Fairfax, and later passed to John
Fairfax in 1847. The land was also used as a small Confederate
force and gun emplacement during the Civil War. The Freestone
Point Confederate Battery was listed on the National Register of
Historic Places in 1989.
Today, only a small cornerstone of the Lee House
remains. The house and its path were completely bulldozed in the
1950s to make way for a road. A restored chimney of the Fairfax
House remains. Henry Lee II and his wife, along with Henry
Fairfax and his third wife are buried on the property. The sites and
the cemetery are accessible by trail. The Leesylvania Archeological
Site was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
The park has a small group-only campground, five
hiking trails, fishing pier, boat ramp, visitor center, natural sand
beach, and four picnic shelters.