Founded: June 1875
Abandoned: circa 1903
Alexandra was founded by E.G. Peck, the
owner of the Peck Mine, a famous mining company at the time, T.M.
Alexander, William Cole and a man named C.C. Bean. One day in June
1875 while walking through the Bradshaw Mountains, Peck noticed a
peculiar rock partly underground.
After examination, the rock proved to be pure silver and the first
of Alexandra was founded. The town is located in Peck Canyon and was
named Alexandra after Mrs. T.M. Alexander, a founder and the first
lady to be at the town.
View Larger Map
A long mountain road separated the town from Mayer. The silver
ore produced from the mine was taken via pack train through Bradshaws
to Aztlan Mill, thirty miles away.
This became troublesome so eventually Peck built his own mill at
Alexandra in 1877. A year later a post office was established. The
town boomed and grew to seventy-five to 100 buildings. General stores,
saloons, boarding houses, livery stables, a blacksmith and a brewery
all existed there. Alexandra was lively until litigation problems
began and by 1879 the town was mostly uninhabited and remained so for
years. The post office closed in 1896 but in 1903, a new mine shaft
was founded at Peck Mine. This did not save the town though,
apparently Alexandra never thrived again and became a ghost.
Post Office Opened: August 6, 1878
Post Office Closed: March