Groom Creek Day-use and Horse Campground
The Groom Creek Horse Campground was designed for
campers and day users who have horses with them. The picnic day-use is
located down the road from the Horse Campground and designed for
picnicking along the creek for the day. The campground and day-use
areas are located in beautiful, pine covered, high elevation country
in one of the most popular recreation areas in Arizona on the Bradshaw
The horse campground has been completely renovated, utilizing
volunteer donations and labor, plus Forest Service grant money. 12 new
corrals were installed, plus tie-lines relocated and 2 additional
water outlets were added.
Both a volunteer host and a volunteer custodian are on duty to
assist visitors to the horse campground. The horse campground is quite
spacious and suitable for even the largest RVs.
Elevation: 6,000 Feet
Picnic Day-Use Facilities:
- Picnic Tables
- Vault Toilets
- No Drinking Water, Electricity, Dump Station, or Shower
View Larger Map
Horse Campground Facilities:
- 36 Camping Units with Tables, Stand-up Grills, Fire Rings,
Picnic Tables, and Horse Tethers
- 2 Group Picnic Day-use Sites with Tables, Stand-up Grills, and
- 4 Vault Toilets
- Drinking Water
- 30 Corrals (16 x 16)
- Gravel Campground Roads
- No Electricity, Dump Station, or Shower Facilities
Available: May 1 through October 31
Stay limit: 14 Days
- Picnic Day-Use: $5 per vehicle
(Standard Amenity Fee - Can
pay at site or use a Valid Pass)
- Horse Campground: $18 per site per night; $5 per extra vehicle
(Expanded Amenity Fee - 50% discount for Interagency Senior or
Access Pass holders)
- Picnic Day-Use: All of the sites are available on a
first-come, first-served basis. No reservations are required.
- Horse Campground: Seven of the sites within the campground are
available on a first-come, first-served basis. The rest of the 29
sites are available by reservation only through the Bradshaw
Ranger District office at (928) 443-8000. Please make reservations
at least three days in advance.
Access: From downtown Prescott, take Gurley Street
east to Mt. Vernon Avenue. Take Mt. Vernon (Senator Highway, Forest
Road 52) south for approximately 6.5 miles to Groom Creek. The Horse
Camp is just 0.7 miles south of the center of Groom Creek. Trailhead
307 is east across Forest Road 52 from the campground.
Travel time: 20 Minutes from Prescott
Road condition: Paved to Picnic Day-use and
Campground. Gravel in Picnic Day-use area and Campground.
- Each horse camp site usually accommodates one vehicle towing a
camp trailer plus one additional vehicle (there is a charge for
additional vehicle). Vehicles must be parked in space provided on
site - not along side the road. Depending on the site, trailers
between 22 feet to 40 feet in length can be accommodated.
- Horse camp sites are designed for 5 people; a maximum of 10 is
allowed only to accommodate a single large family.
- Quiet hours must be observed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- Open fires must be confined within fireplaces, grills or fire
rings provided within developed recreation areas.
- The gathering of dead wood is allowed for campground use only.