Bread and Butter Pickles
- 4 - quarts cucumbers, sliced
- 8 - small white onions, sliced
- 1/4 - cup salt
- 2 - cups ice water
- 4 - cups vinegar
- 4 - cups sugar
- 3 - teaspoons celery seed
- 1/2 - teaspoon turmeric
- 3 - Tablespoons mustard seed
- In a bowl, add the cucumbers and onions.
- Sprinkle salt over
the cucumbers and onions. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand
- Next day pour off liquid and cover the cucumbers with
- Heat vinegar with sugar and spices to boiling point, then turn
down heat and simmer a few minutes.
- Drain cucumbers and onions,
add to spiced vinegar, stir over low heat until mixture boils,
- Stir in turmeric and mustard seed.
- Pour into hot
sterilized jars and seal.
Page 1 of 1
Comment on your favorite picnic, tailgate,
backyard, lunch, dinner or anytime menu ideas on Alan's