with Sour Sauce
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
1 - veal rump
1/4 - cup all-purpose flour
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1/4 - teaspoon pepper
3 - Tablespoons bacon drippings
2 - pints water, cold
1 - cup vinegar
1 - Tablespoon sugar
1 - onion, minced
1 - cup water, hot
- Dredge the veal with a flour,
sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a skillet at moderate heat, add
the bacon drippings and sear the veal on all sides.
- Place veal in a stockpot, add
water and cover.
- Cook at moderate-low heat for 2 hours.
- When veal
is tender and water reduced, add the vinegar, sugar, onion, and
- At low heat, simmer the veal for 45 minutes longer.
Remove veal to serving platter, pour the sauce over it, and serve.
PA Dutch Idioms and Expressions