Great-Great Grandmother's Kidney Stew
2 - beef or veal kidneys
4 - cups water, cold
1 - small onion
1/4 - teaspoon salt
1/2 - cup milk
1/2 - cup cream
3 - Tablespoons butter
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1/4 - teaspoon pepper
2 - Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 - Tablespoon parsley, minced
2 - hard-boiled eggs
- Cut kidneys into small pieced,
removing fat and membrane.
- Soak in 2 cups cold water for 3
hours, then put in colander and run cold water over them.
- Place kidneys in top of double boiler
and just cover with 2 cup cold water.
- Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cover the pan and bring to a
- Simmer 4 hours, replacing water in
bottom of boiler as needed.
- Remove the onion and put in milk,
cream, cutter, salt, and pepper.
- Thicken with flour to consistency of
- Add parsley.
- Do not serve to next day, then reheat,
pour into tureen and sprinkle mashed hard-boiled eggs on the top with a
little more parsley.
Check PA Dutch Idioms and Expressions