Walnut Catsup for Fish
Makes 1 pint.
- 1 - cup walnuts
- 2 - cups water to cover
- 2 - Tablespoons salt
- 2 - cups vinegar
- 1/2 - teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 - teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1/4 - teaspoon powdered cloves
- 1/4 - teaspoon nutmeg
- few grains cayenne pepper
- 1 - teaspoon onion, minced
- 1/4 - teaspoon celery seed
Prick each walnut with a
steel-tined fork, place in jar, and cover with salted water.
Allow walnuts to stand in brine for a week.
You want to
bring vinegar to the boiling point, cover and let stand for a
Drain off the vinegar and save it.
Crush the walnuts to a
pulp and combine with the vinegar.
Place minced onion in a small
bag with the spices and drop it in saucepan with the walnuts and
Bring mixture to a boil. When it boils, turn down the
heat and simmer for 1 hour.
Cool and bottle.