Makes 6-8 dozen cookies
325� F. Grease
- Cream sugar and shortening.
- Sift together salt, spices, and 1 cup of
- Sift into mixing bowl, work sugar and
shortening into flour, add egg well beaten and slightly warmed
- Add hot water and soda, stirring into
- Stir in 4 cups sifted flour, a little at
- Chill in refrigerator
Next morning roll out, very thin, on floured board.
Shape with Christmas cookie cutters: like men, deer, men on
- Bake for about 15 minutes.
- Pierce with a darning needle
when they come from the oven, so that they may be threaded to
hang on Christmas tree.
- Cookies may be iced with colored
frosting and decorated with pieces of fruit and nuts.