From an old cook book
- Use thick, sour milk, bring to
a careful boil, and drain off the whey.
- Pack in a crock and
- Add fresh curds every other day, salting each time.
the crock is three-quarters full, take out the cheese and knead
it into balls.
- Spread the balls on a board and place in a warm
place to dry.
- Next day move to a warmer spot, and the day after
that to a place still warmer.
- On the fourth day roll the balls
in bicarbonate of soda, wrap in cheesecloth (or paper), and
return to the crock. Cover and let stand all winter.
- When spring
comes get out the crock, scrape the mold from the cheese, and it
will be ready to use.
- Coloring matter may be added but is not
Dutch Idioms and Expressions