Makes 2 loaves
2 - packages active dry yeast
1 - cup lukewarm water
1 - cup scalded milk
2 - Tablespoons shortening
2 - Tablespoons sugar
2 - teaspoons salt
5 - cups bread flour, sifted
Preheat oven to 400�F.
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in lukewarm water.
- Then add
the milk (allow to cool to lukewarm), shortening, sugar, and salt.
Let mixture stand until it foams.
- Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer.
- Turn to Speed 2 and mix
- Continue until dough clings to hook and cleans sides
of bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Knead on Speed 2 for 2 minutes longer or
smooth and elastic.
- Remove from mixing bowl and roll into a ball and place in greased
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or
until it doubles in size.
- After it has doubled, again place on floured board, punch down,
cut through several times with a knife to improve texture, shape
into 2 loaves.
- Cover and let rise another 30 minutes.
- Reshape and place in greased 3-1/2 x 7-1/2 loaf pan.
- Cover with
plastic wrap and let rise until it doubles in size or about 1 hour.
Bake in oven for 45 minutes.
- Brush loaves with melted butter.
Page 1 of 1