Makes 4 (7-inch) cakes.
- 1 - cup lukewarm potato water
1 - package active dry yeast
1 - cup mashed potatoes
2 - cups sugar
1/2 - cup butter
1/2 - teaspoon salt
5 - cups all-purpose flour (plus), sifted
2 - eggs, beaten
1 - cup sugar
1/4 - cup butter
1/2 - cup molasses, thinned with water (1/8 cup water, 3/8 cup
1/2 - cup flour
1-1/2 - teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350-degrees F.
In a small cup, dissolve yeast in
In a mixing bowl, add the mashed potatoes, yeast
mixture, sugar, butter, salt, and a cup of flour.
Stir until well
Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour.
remaining flour and eggs.
Mix, cover, and let rise 1 hour.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a floured board.
knead and shape into 4 flat 1-inch cakes.
- Place in 4 greased 7-inch
pie pans, cover, and let rise until they double in size.
- Brush with
melted butter, and make crumbs.
- Lightly mix sugar, butter, thinned molasses, flour, and cinnamon
to form crumbs.
- Sprinkle over the cakes and bake 25 minutes or until