Poppy Seed Twist
Makes 2 loaves
- 2 - packages active dry yeast
1/2 - cup lukewarm potato water
1/2 - cup mashed potatoes
1 - Tablespoon shortening
2 - Tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
5 - cups bread flour (plus), sifted
2 - cups water
1/8 - teaspoon poppy seeds
Preheat oven to 450-degrees F.
In a small glass, dissolve yeast in
potato water. In a mixing bowl, add the mashed potatoes, shortening,
salt, sugar, and yeast mixture.
- Now add the flour and the 2-cup of
- You want to alternate the flour and water.
- You need to mix
well until the dough is like a sponge and not stiff.
- (Add more flour
- Attach bowl and dough hook to mixer.
- Turn to Speed 2 and mix
- Continue until dough clings to hook and cleans sides
of bowl, about 2 minutes.
- Knead on Speed 2 for 2 minutes longer.
- Shape the dough into a ball. Place in a greased bowl and cover
with plastic wrap.
- Place in warm spot and allow to double in size or
about 1 hour.
Knead again and roll out on floured board. Divide dough into 6
- Pinch the ends of 3 strips together and braid, to make
- Place in greased (3-1/2 x 7-1/2 inch) loaf pan.
- Let stand in
warm spot and allow it to double in 1 hour.
- Brush tops with a little
milk, sprinkle with poppy seeds, and let rise 3 minutes.
- Place in oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until loaves have
just begun to brown.
- Reduce heat to 350-degrees F and bake 40 to 45