Fastnachtkuche (Raised Doughnuts) II
This recipe uses the
original diamond shape doughnuts.
Makes about 5 dozen
- 1 - package active dry yeast
1/4 - cup potato water, lukewarm
3 - potatoes, boiled and mashed
1/2 - teaspoon salt
1 - cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 5 - cups all-purpose flour (plus),
2 - cups milk, scalded and cooed to
- 4 - eggs, beaten
1/2 - cup butter, melted
1 - cup sugar
1/2 - teaspoon mace
- Dissolve the yeast in water.
- In a
mixing bowl, mix the mashed potatoes, yeast mixture, salt, and
- Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double in size
about 2 hours.
- Next, add to the starter, the flour
mixture of flour, milk, and mix.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let
rise until double in size.
- Finally, add in the egg mixture of
eggs, butter, sugar, mace, and mix.
- Remove from bowl and place on
floured board. Knead until stiff enough to roll out. (Add flour if
- Return dough to a greased bowl.
- Let rise until double in
- In a deep fryer, pour in high
quality fat with a "high smoke point" and temperature at 360°
- Take a floured diamond shape
cutter, and cut out doughnuts.
- Take a sharp knife and slit across
the top. Let the dough rest for 15 minutes.
- Then quickly deep-fry
the doughnuts until golden brown.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.