Mainland Luau Kalua Pig
Makes 16 to 24 servings
The centerpiece of a Hawaiian luau, which you can also make at home.
Prep time: 15 min.
Cooking time: 3 hrs. to 3 hrs. 45 min.
- 4 to 5 - pounds pork butt
- 2-1/2 - Tablespoon Hawaiian salt (mainland substitute - kosher salt)
- 2 - Tablespoons liquid smoke
- 1 - banana leaf (mainland substitute - 4 to 5 whole, unpeeled bananas)
- 4 to 6 - Ti leaves (mainland substitute - aluminum foil)
Preheat oven to 325-350° F.
- You want to trim any excess fat from the roast.
- Make several shallow long
cuts along the roast or pierce liberally with a fork.
- Rub the pork with salt
and liquid smoke.
- Next, wrap the roast with banana leaf or place whole bananas
on top of meat.
- Cut the ribs from the Ti leaves and wrap over the banana leaf. Substitute
aluminum foils, if Ti leaves are not available. (You maybe able to obtain Ti
leaves from a local florist). Tie securely with twine.
- Place the pork in a roasting pan and roast in an oven for 3 to 3 hrs 45 min.
(about 45 minutes per pound).
- When meat is done, remove Ti leaves, banana leaf
(or bananas) and shred pork.