Pork & Eggplant Casserole
Makes 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cooking Time: 1 hr.
- 1/2 - cup peanut oil
- 2 - large yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 - cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 - medium-size, unpeeled eggplants, cut in
- 3 - ribs celery, chopped
- 1 - green sweet bell pepper, cored and
- 1/2 - teaspoon whole thyme leaves
- 1/2 - cup parsley, chopped
- 3 - Tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 - pounds lean ground pork
- 1 - teaspoon Tabasco
- 2 - teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 - egg, beaten
- 1/2 - cup bread crumbs
Preheat oven to 350� F.
- Heat a large Dutch oven and add the oil.
Lightly brown the yellow onions and garlic. Now you want to add the
eggplant, celery, green pepper, thyme, parsley, and tomato past.
- Saut�, covered, stirring often, until the
vegetables are very tender, about 20 minutes.
- In the meantime pan-brown the pork. Drain
the fat and discard.
- When the vegetables are tender stir in the
pork, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and the egg.
- In a 2-quart baking dish, place vegetable
and pork mixture. Sprinkle the break crumbs on top.
- Bake uncovered for 35 to 40 minutes or
until the top is lightly brown and the dish is very hot.