5 Quarts of Stock
Prep Time: 30 min
Baking Time: 2 hrs
Cooking Time: 1 hr
- 5 pounds bare rendering bones, sawed into 2-inch pieces
- 5 quarts water
- 1 bunch carrots, unpeeled and chipped
- 1 head celery, chopped
- 3 yellow onions, unpeeled and chopped
Preheat oven to 400° F.
- You want to roast the bones in an uncover pan at 400° F. For 2-hours.
Bake until toasty brown, not black.
- In a soup pot, place roasted bones and add water.
- Now add the carrots, celery, and onions.
- Bring to a heavy simmer, uncovered, and cook for 12 hours.
- You may need to add water. (Reminder: do not salt the stock.)
- Strain the stock and store in the refrigerator.
- The fat will seal the stock and allow you to keep it for several days.
Alan's Kitchen Tip:
- Stock also keeps well in the freezer.