May 7, 1901, Helena, Montana
Died: May 13, 1961 (age 60), Los Angeles
Gary Cooper (Frank
James "Gary" Cooper) was an American film actor and iconic star. He was
renowned for his quiet, understated acting style and his stoic,
individualistic, emotionally restrained, but at times intense screen
persona, which was particularly well suited to the many Westerns he
made. His career spanned from 1925 until shortly before his death, and
comprised more than one hundred films.
What do you know about
Enjoy this FUN
Famous People quiz.
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz.
1. Gary Cooper won 2 Academy Award for Best Actor.
The first was for Sergeant York.
What was the second movie?
- For Whom the Bell Tolls
- It's a Big Country
- High Noon
2. Cooper found he could earn money as an "extra"
in the motion picture industry, usually cast as a cowboy.
3. Cooper gets his first starring role in what
- Days of Wine and Roses
- The Man from Montana
- The Virginian
4. Cooper plays Wild Bill Hickok in what film?
- The Plainsman
- Wild Bill
5. Cooper turned down the lead role and claimed
the movie would be a Hollywood flop. What was the movie?
- The Man from Homer
- Gone with the Wind
- The Adventurer
6. In 1933 Cooper married his only wife.
- Clara Bow
- Grace Kelly
- Veronica Balfe
7. Puttin' on the Ritz with the line,
"Trying hard to look like Gary Cooper, (super duper)".
8. What was Gary's mother's name?
9. Cooper appeared in 107 movies, 82 of which he
starred in. Only 16 of those were filmed in color. And he starred in 14
How many Westerns did he star in?
10. What was the cause of death?
- Prostate cancer
- Lung cancer
- Cardiac Arrest
11. Where is Gary Cooper buried?
- Holy Cross Catholic Cemetery in Culver City,
- Sacred Heart Cemetery, Southampton, New York
- Montana Holy Cemetery, Helena, Montana