August 6, 1911, Jamestown, New York
Died: April 26, 1989 (age 77), Los Angeles, California
Lucille Desiree Ball was an American comedienne, film,
television, stage and radio actress, model, film executive, and star of
the landmark sitcoms I Love Lucy, The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, The Lucy
Show and Here's Lucy.
What do you know about Lucille
Take this quick Famous People FUN
"Check Your Answers"
at the end of the quiz..
1) In 1929, Ball landed work as a model and later began her
performing career on Broadway.
What was her stage name?
2) Lucille attended John Murray Anderson School for the Dramatic Arts
in New York City. She attended with fellow actress, Bette Davis. Ball
went home a few weeks later when drama coaches told her that she
"had no future at all as a performer". Ball was determined to
prove her teachers wrong and returned to New York City in 1929. She
landed work as a fashion model. Her career was thriving, when she became
ill and could not work for two years.
What was her illness?
3) After an uncredited stint as one of the Goldwyn Girls in Roman
Scandals (1933) she permanently moved to Hollywood to appear in films. She appeared in many small movie roles in the 1930s as a contract player
for RKO Radio Pictures, including movies with the Marx Brothers and the
4) She was known in many Hollywood circles as
"Queen of the B's"
starring in a number of B-movies, such as 1939's Five Came Back.
previously held the title?
5) Like many budding starlets, Lucille picked up radio work to earn
side income as well as gain exposure. In 1937 she appeared as a regular
on the Phil Baker show. When that completed its run in 1938, Ball joined
the cast of the Wonder Show starring future Wizard of Oz tin man Jack
What long time associate did she meet on the show?
6) In 1940, Ball met Cuban-born bandleader Desi Arnaz while filming
the film version of the Rodgers and Hart stage hit Too Many Girls. Ball
and Arnaz connected immediately and eloped the same year, garnering much
press attention. Arnaz and Ball frequently argued, especially over his
indiscretions with other women, but they always made up in the end.
7) In 1942, Lucy appeared in
The Big Street, an uneven film but a
strong personal performance. In this film she plays a tough nightclub
singer whose legs become paralyzed. Who plays a busboy (Agustus
Pinkerton II) that cares for her?
8) In 1948, Ball was cast as Liz Cugat (later "Cooper"), a
wacky wife, in My Favorite Husband, a radio program for CBS Radio.
9) On July 17, 1951, just one month before her fortieth birthday and
after several miscarriages, Ball gave birth to her first child.
the first child?
Lucie Desiree Arnaz
Desiderio Alberto Arnaz IV
Ricardo Desilu Arnaz
10) On May 4, 1960, just two months after filming the final episode
of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour, the couple divorced.
Who did Lucy marry in
11) Shortly after dawn, she awoke with severe back pains. Her aorta
had ruptured in a second location and Ball quickly lost consciousness.
All attempts to revive her proved unsuccessful and at approximately
05:47 PST, Lucille Ball died.
12) Where is Lucille Ball buried?
Cremated, ashes buried in Lake View Cemetery in Jamestown, New
Sedalia Memorial Gardens, Sedalia, Missouri
Westchester Hills Cemetery, Hastings-on-Hudson, New York