Brownies EZ Quiz
chocolate brownie is a flat, baked square or bar, sliced from a
type of dense, rich chocolate cake. Brownies come in a variety of forms.
They are either fudgy or cakey, depending on their density, and they may
include nuts, frosting, cream cheese, chocolate chips, or other
Take 2 points for each right
answer. Maximum this page: 20 points!
1) What is served on a brownie la mode?
2) Food historians have traced the first recorded recipe for a
brownie to the 1906 edition of The Boston Cooking School Cook Book
by Fannie Merritt Farmer.
3) The name "brownie" first appeared in anearlier version
of the cookbook, but this was in reference to molasses cakes baked
individually in tin molds, not true brownies.
What year was the
4) A second recipe appeared in 1907 in Lowney's Cook Book,
by Maria Willet Howard and published by the Walter M. Lowney Company of
Boston, Massachusetts. This recipe added an extra egg and an additional
square of chocolate to the Boston Cooking School recipe, creating a
richer, fudgier brownie.
What was the name of the recipe?
5) According to the 1979 Betty Crocker's Baking Classics
cookbook, brownies were accidentally invented by a Maine home economist,
when she served a chocolate cake that had collapsed in the oven.
the home economist?
6) According to another story, the brownie was invented in Chicago by
the chef of the Palmer House Hotel during the 1893 Columbian Exposition.
Bertha Palmer requested a dessert for ladies attending the fair that
would be smaller than a piece of cake, and easily eaten from boxed
lunches. These brownies feature an apricot glaze and walnuts, and are
still being made at the hotel according to the original recipe.
7) What are a non-chocolate variation of the traditional chocolate
8) For the best results, refrigerate the brownies until they are
9) What are dark, dense, brownies that contain more cocoa than
cake-like brownies and are slightly more bitter and have a more
"dark chocolate" taste called?
10) What are cake-like brownies but are denser and not springy or