The Chandler Armory at 400 East Route 66 in Chandler, OK now
houses the Route 66 Interpretive Center and Gift Shop. The
center is open from 10:00am to 5:00pm every day April-August and
Tuesday-Saturday September-March and is almost entirely
wheelchair accessible. Call 405-258-1300 for information
or visit the Route 66 Interpretive Center and Gift Shop website.
Among the highlights of
Chandler’s Route 66 landscape is the Chandler Armory, behind
which stands the only brick outhouse in Oklahoma, thought to
have been built between 1903 and 1912 and still containing its
original French fixture. The Chandler Armory is an excellent
example of Works Progress Administration (WPA) architecture; it
is rich with history. The armory is also significant as the home
of Battery F, Second Battalion of the 160th Field Artillery of
the Oklahoma National Guard, 45th Infantry division and for its
role in helping the men of Battery F prepare for their role in
World War II after mobilization in 1940.
Bryan W. Nolan,
an architect and major in the National Guard, served as the
supervising architect for the WPA armory construction program in
Oklahoma. Constructed of local sandstone, the armory’s
recessed stonework and projecting pilasters give the building a
vertical emphasis and an Art Deco influence. You’d never
mistake the building for anything but a military installation.
There are five big-truck-sized bays with overhead doors, and one
section of the building is topped with those barrel vault roofs
utilized by so many 1930s military structures.
built the Chandler Armory in two sections between 1935 and 1937.
The eastern half of the building contains offices, locker rooms,
truck bays, an ammunition vault, and classrooms. The other half
is mostly drill hall. At one end of the hall is an elevated
stage, and beneath the stage is a long, narrow rifle range.
Oklahoma is tornado country which may be why the armory was
built so soundly. Not only are the walls made of sandstone, but
the roof of the drill hall was constructed of half-inch cellutex
insulation and five-ply built-up felt and asphalt laid on metal
sheeting supported by steel trusses also.
All in all,
the Chandler Armory is evidence of the intention and the success
of the WPA program. It used native materials, served the public,
and employed local workers. More than 250 men worked the local
quarry to keep laborers at the jobsite supplied with material.
Staggered crews of 14 men were employed on the jobsite, because
the schedule provided as much employment as possible for workers
in need of jobs. Workers dressed the stone and hoisted it into
place by hand. The wooden floor of the drill hall required a
great deal of hand labor, too. Workers cut more than 156,000
wood blocks on the jobsite and set them into place manually.
During the Great Depression, the armory put Chandler to work.
When the job was finished in March of 1937, the community
celebrated with a parade, a banquet, the laying of a
cornerstone, an open house, and a dance with music provided by a
WPA swing band from Okmulgee, Oklahoma.
The new armory
provided the 58 men and five officers of the 45th Infantry
Division of the Oklahoma National Guard with a modern facility,
allowing the unit to achieve a greater level of military
efficiency and preparedness--skills they would need soon enough.
In September 1940, the unit was mobilized and saw action in
North Africa, Sicily, and Italy.
Eventually, in 1971,
the National Guard constructed a modern facility to replace the
historic armory and deeded the older building to the town.
Despite occasional use as stores, a vehicle shop, and a
maintenance building, the building became so decayed that the
city council debated demolishing it. Sections of roof and
windows were missing; water damage was extensive; pigeons
roosted throughout the building, and electricity and water did
Local interest in the building, however,
remained. The property was listed in the National Register of
Historic Places in 1992, and the Old Armory Restorers (OAR), a
group of volunteers dedicated to saving, restoring, and reusing
the building as a public space, formed in 1998.
summer of 2002, OAR was delighted to receive a Transportation
Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) grant through the
Oklahoma Department of Transportation. The grant required a 20
percent match and the combined dollars funded much of the armory
restoration. In 2007, the eastern half of the armory opened as
the Chandler Route 66 Interpretive Center, with exhibits
featuring virtual hotel rooms, vintage billboards, and period
video viewed from the seats of a 1965 Ford Mustang.
vision did not end with the interpretive center. It also
included rehabilitation and reuse of the drill hall, complete
with its gem of a wooden floor. OAR continued to apply for
funds, receiving assistance from the National Park Service Route
66 Corridor Preservation Program and the Oklahoma Centennial
Commemoration Commission. The Ben T. Walkingstick Conference
Center and Exhibition Hall, now open in the rehabilitated drill
hall, boasts state-of-the-art technology and design and
convenient location right between Tulsa and Oklahoma City.
The facility currently welcomes 700 to 800 visitors a month,
approximately 20 percent of whom are international. The
building’s transition from National Guard armory to decaying
building to Route 66 tourist destination is truly a preservation
Located in the middle of Oklahoma,
Chandler (population about 3,000) contains a number of
attractions for devotees of The Mother Road. You’ll find the
Oklahoma Law Enforcement Museum, a county museum of pioneer
history, a cottage-style Phillips 66 gas station, the colorful
P. J.'s Bar-B-Que, and one of the remaining painted barns
advertising Meramac Caverns. Long gone are other
businesses that catered to Route 66 clientele--the Childress
Café, the J&E Café, Betty’s Grill, the Red Wing Café, and
finally, the Lewis Café where travelers along Route 66 were
served what was advertised as “the coldest beer in town.”
This sizable boom in Chandler cafes continued until
Interstate 44 was built and transcontinental traffic left town.
Today, Chandler’s economy is driven mostly by agriculture and
livestock, as well as insurance and some manufacturing. Chandler
has become a commuter town, just 30 minutes from the Oklahoma
City metropolitan area and 45 minutes from Tulsa.