Discover Historic Places In America
Custom Search
Home >> Discover Historic Places In America >> Route 66

Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning
Picnic Menu Ideas & Planning

1000s of great recipes and picnic menu ideas

Browse Recipes

Appetizer/Snack

BarBQ-Grilling

Beef

Beverages

Bread

Breakfast

Canning - Mixes

Casserole

Cheese

Chicken

Chili Bowl

Comfort Foods

Country

Cowboy

Desserts

Dinner

Eggs

Ham / Pork

Lunch

Mac & Cheese

Main Dishes

Gifts in a Jar

Pasta

Penn Dutch

Picnic

Pizza

Pot Pies

Potluck

Quick & Easy Meals

Salads

Salsa

Sandwiches

Slow Cooker

Soups-Stews

Turkey

Veggies-Side Dish

America's Cooking Recipes

Eastern

Gulf Coast

Mid-west

New England

Northwest

Pacific

Prairie

Southern

Southwest

West Virginia

 

Railroad Addition Historic District and Boundary Increase
Flagstaff, Arizona

DirectionRailroad Addition Historic District and Boundary Increase
The Railroad Addition Historic District includes portions of Santa Fe Ave./Route 66, Aspen Ave., Leroux St., and San Francisco St. in Flagstaff, AZ and is bounded by Birch Ave., the Santa Fe Railroad tracks, Beaver St., and Agassiz St.

The Flagstaff Visitor Center in the old train station at 1 East Route 66 is open Monday-Saturday 8:00am to 5:00pm and Sunday 9:00am to 4:00pm; it is wheelchair accessible and admission is free. For information, call 928-774-9541 or 800-842-7293 or visit its website to find out more about what to see and do and where to stay and eat. For information on staying at the historic Hotel Monte Vista, see the hotel’s website.  For information on the DuBeau International Hostel, visit its website.

History
The railroad has always had an important association with Route 66, and this is well illustrated in central Flagstaff. A walk along Santa Fe Avenue (Route 66) shows the influence of the railroad on the city’s development, as every building is oriented toward the iron tracks. As automobiles replaced the train as the country’s primary mode of transportation, the Route 66 corridor paralleling the tracks exerted a similar force on development.

The Atlantic and Pacific Railroad laid tracks through Flagstaff and the rest of northern Arizona and New Mexico in the 1880s. After the Santa Fe Railroad’s purchase of the line by 1885, Flagstaff became part of a continuous rail connection between St. Louis and the Pacific Ocean. Constructed after an 1888 fire and now used as offices by the Burlington, Northern, and Santa Fe Railway, the sandstone depot was at the geographic center of Flagstaff’s development. The transportation connection enabled regional industries like lumber, cattle, and sheep to develop and thrive. By 1895, tourism was also an important industry, with visitors drawn by the cool summer climate and nearby Grand Canyon, Oak Creek Canyon, Walnut Canyon, and San Francisco Peaks.

The National Old Trails Road, an early predecessor of Route 66, followed railroad alignments through Flagstaff and other areas of northern Arizona in the 1910s. Railroad traffic continued to be important, however, and in 1926, the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Railway built a new, more elaborate railroad depot across from the old one. This Tudor Revival- and Queen Anne-influenced building is the Flagstaff Visitor Center today.

U.S. Highway 66 through Arizona was commissioned the same year, and followed the approximate routing of the National Old Trails Road. In Flagstaff, this route ran south of the railroad tracks, but it was soon realigned north of the tracks to Santa Fe Ave. A block away on San Francisco Street, community support funded the construction of the Hotel Monte Vista the same year as Route 66’s commissioning. The Romanesque-inspired hotel drew visits from Carol Lombard, Gary Cooper, Spencer Tracy, Jane Russell, and others drawn to Flagstaff’s mountain setting. The hotel continues to host visitors today.

At this time Flagstaff was at the end of what one magazine writer described as “18 miles of narrow, crooked, poorly surfaced road which is particularly dangerous in dry weather due to raveling and innumerable potholes.” The Daily Sun described the nearby Motel Du Beau, constructed in 1929 at the intersection of Beaver Street and Phoenix Avenue, as "a hotel with garages for the better class of motorists." Units rented for $2.60 to $5.00 each, and were perfect for the new phenomenon of automobile tourism. Rates are a little higher now, but the Craftsman-style facility provides affordable accommodations to today’s travelers as the DuBeau International Hostel.

Military use became a primary function of Route 66 during World War II. Flagstaff hosted a huge ammunition depot then, which brought increased business to the surrounding area and heavy traffic to and from the facility. Tourism boomed at war’s end, and Arizona’s National Parks, mountains, and tribal lands drew travelers to the area.

As Interstate 40 was completed through the Flagstaff, business was siphoned away from Route 66 and downtown Flagstaff. During the 1970s and 1980s, many businesses shifted away from the city center, and downtown fell into decline.

More History

 
 


Powered by ... All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License.
E-mail | AlansKitchen Privacy Policy | Thank you