Vickery Phillips 66 Station
The Vickery Phillips 66 Station is located at 602 S. Elgin Ave.
on the southwest corner of 6th and Elgin Sts. facing north
toward 6th St. in Tulsa, OK. Visitors are welcome at the
station, which now operates as an Avis Rental Car field office.
For information call 918-582-2534.
In the 1920s, Tulsa was without exaggeration the oil capital of
the world, which caused its downtown to experience major growth.
In 1926, with the designation of Second Street as U.S. Route 66,
businesses that catered to the traveling public, such as gas
stations, diners, and tourist camps, replaced private
residences. In the fall of 1930, Phillips Petroleum Company
purchased a property near downtown Tulsa at the corner of Sixth
and Elgin Streets and replaced a two-story home with a gas
station in 1931.
The Phillips Petroleum Company
constructed its station in the Cotswold Cottage design, which
the company used throughout the country in an effort to make its
stations look both attractive and uniform in appearance. Each
station had a central chimney and was painted a distinctive dark
green with orange and blue trim. The cottage style conveyed an
image of domestic tranquility and romanticism, an attempt to
blend into residential neighborhoods, and unmistakably
communicated a corporate image with its consistency of design
and colors. The Phillips 66 cottage style immediately became
recognizable to travelers along the nationís highways.
The Vickery Station, its name today, consists of two separate
buildings, one for the office and one for the service bays. Both
are of brick with steeply pitched shingled roofs. A graceful
arch made of soldier-coursed bricks marks the entrance to the
station office, and the tapered chimney has a circular inset
designed for a backlit Phillips 66 medallion.
operated the station for seven years and then leased it to
individuals. This was a common practice in the industry, whereby
the oil company retained its rights of ownership--including the
requirement that the leased station sell only that companyís
products--but reduced its managerial and personnel burdens. The
disadvantages of such an arrangement to the individual operator
soon became evident, and over the following five years, the
lease changed hands twice. By 1943, it became the Victory V W
Phillips 66. The name of the station represented an interesting
ploy to attract customers in the spirit of winning World War II
at the same time that it hinted at the name of the new lessee:
V.W. Vickery. Mr. Vickery lived in a small apartment less than a
block away, indicating the mom-and-pop status of the station,
even though a large corporation actually owned it. After the war
ended, the name of the station changed in 1946 from the Victory
Station to the Vickery Phillips 66 Station.
circumstances of the war proved challenging, the end of the war
and flourishing Route 66 traffic and automobile culture turned
the station into a successful business by the 1950s. By the end
of the decade, however, with the substantial rerouting of Route
66 south of the station, business declined. By the end of the
1960s, the station had a new lessee. In 1973, the buildings
became vacant, and Phillips sold the property. After that time,
the station served other purposes, mainly as a paid parking lot.
The station was listed in the National Register of Historic
Places in 2004. Between 2006 and 2008, a new owner restored the
station utilizing Cost-Share Grant assistance from the National
Park Service Route 66 Corridor Preservation Program as well as
Federal tax credits for historic preservation. This initiative
resulted in the restoration of the vacant buildings on the
property into a rental car facility serving downtown Tulsa.