Corona Historic Marker
Corona, Lincoln County, New Mexico
Population: 210 (1990 Census) Elevation: 6666 feet
1903 Incorporated in 1947
The earliest settlers in the area were the Spanish ranchers who
raised sheep and cattle on the open rangelands surrounding
Corona. In the 1850's, a stage line was established from Las
Vegas to White Oaks and Fort Stanton, transporting passengers,
mail & supplies for the army from Ft. Union to Ft. Stanton.
Among the stage stops were Pinos Wells, Red Cloud Post Office,
and Greathouse Tavern. Mining began as early as 1881 in the Red
Cloud area of the Gallinas mountains, but proved to be
unprofitable because miners had to haul their ore by wagon to
smelters in Soccoro and El Paso. With the establishment of rail
lines through Corona, increased ore production became possible.
At the peak of mining production, approximately 300 people were
employed in the industry. Corona was established as a railroad
town in 1903 with the building of the El Paso and South Western
Railroad from Carrizozo to Santa Rosa where it connected to the
Rock Island Line. This brought many homesteaders and farmers to
the area and initiated the growth of Corona as a trade center,
enabling farmers and ranchers to ship their products to market.
In the 1950's, natural gas transmission lines were laid through
the area, company housing was built, and some thirty families
were employed. Recognized as one of the best in the state, the
school has long been the focal point of the community. The
district encompasses parts of three counties and serves an area
of 2061 square miles. The stage lines are now gone, the
mines are closed; farming is minimal; the railroad depot has
been moved; trains no longer stop here and the natural gas lines
have been automated. Corona is still the trade center for the
area; the school is still the heart of the community; and Corona
is, once again, ranching country.
The Corona, New Mexico Historic Marker is on Main Street
(US-54 at milepost 170) north of Duboise Avenue, on the right
when traveling north.